1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 13, 2017 7:29 AM by Research Services at the National Archives

Looking for information about an American armourer died and buried in Patagonia in the first decades of XIX century

Patricio Donato

My name is Patricio Donato and I am looking for information about a (probably) member of the U.S. Navy that died and was buried at the Patagonia's shores in the first quarter of XIX century. I will try to summarize the context. In the memories of the travel of ships Adventure and Beagle (1828) is briefly mentioned the existence of a wreck and a tomb in the sorrounding of Santa Helena (Chubut, Patagonia, Argentina), and the tomb was identified as "John Myers, armourer, Commodore Decatur, New York".

Narrative of a Voyage to Patagonia and Terra Del Fuégo, Through the Straits of Magellan, in H.M.S. Adventure and Beagle, in 1826 and 1827 <https://books.google.es/books?id=oSdhAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA61>

I was looking for information about a ship called "Commodore Decatur". There was an american whaler in these years, but was not wreck in Patagonia. Also I asked in the Navy but they told me that there was not any ship "Commodore Decatur" in their lists. From the Whaling Museum of New Bedford suggested me to contact you, because they say me that an "armourer" was an U.S. military rank, so it is possible that the misterious John Myers has been a member of this navy (independently of origin of the ship).

Summarizing, I want to know if it is possible to check de existence of a U.S. military member with the rank "armourer" with the name "John Myers", that died in the first quarter of XIX century in Patagonia.

Please apologize for my english.

Thanks in advance