4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2017 6:08 AM by Michael Tomko

I recently asked for and my DD214 it only has my active duty service on it. Is there a DD214 from the Reserve duty I served??

Ricardo Escamilla Newbie

I recently asked for and my DD214 it only has my active duty service on it. Is there a DD214 from the Reserve duty I served??

• Re: I recently asked for and my DD214 it only has my active duty service on it. Is there a DD214 from the Reserve duty I served??
          Research Services at the National Archives Scout

Dear Mr. Escamilla,

It is the same SF180 that you submitted originally, however you should specify that you are looking for the details of your reserve duty. When not ordering a complete copy of your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF), the more detail we received on the form, the better. For example, if you are applying for a VA home loan you should specify that so we can get you all the details you need. Otherwise you will run into having to complete multiple requests as we cannot know what all you need.

We hope this helps! Thank you for contacting the History Hub.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: I recently asked for and my DD214 it only has my active duty service on it. Is there a DD214 from the Reserve duty I served??
            Gretchen Shoemaker Wayfarer

The DD214 is only for active duty service.  There is no equivalent document for reserve service that is not active duty. There may be documentation of your active duty for training time, as well as your enlistment contract and discharge orders, in your service record. You may request those documents by the same process through which you requested your DD214. Best of luck!

Gretchen Shoemaker

Archivist

National Archives at St. Louis

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                Michael Tomko Adventurer

Dear Mam and Escardo,

Per my past experience in the Army 82-85, 90-91 and Army Reserve 92-2002,  and research toward the newest military service guidelines,  there should be a DD214 issued for the Basic Training and Military Schooling. There should also be a DD214 for periods of active duty beyond 90 days or when called to active duty by presidential order to support a military campaign.  At the completion of the entire Reserve commitment, there should be a DD256 Discharge Certificate. There are also DD215's which are corrections to the DD214. I received a Corrected DD215 from the Army Support Command almost 25 years later, whereby I was awarded the Armed Forces Reserve Medal, Kuwait Liberation Medal (Saudi Arabia) and Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kuwait), and Cold War Certificate.  They also verified my reserve years and points. The criteria for issuing DD214's has changed in relation to the use of reserve forces during the Global War on Terror and the Wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Veterans can also create a VA eBenefits account and view their military record and DD214 in an electronic format, but in my case, many of the records and awards were Not electronically scanned. If the Veteran is still in the Individual Ready Reserve, he will receive a Discharge Certificate at the completion of his or her inactive duty. If the Veteran was in the Army or Army Reserve, the service member should be able to contact the Army Human Resources Command toward the DD214's or issue of any awards. Other branches should contact an equivalent command. The National Guard receives an NGB-22, and a DD214 when federalized, and for periods of federal active duty for training beyond 90 days.

Michael Tomko Adventurer

Please refer to AR 635-5, of  2000, concerning active duty separations. You should receive a DD256A Certificate of Honorable Discharge after completing your IRR , inactive reserve term. If you were In the reserves and completed military schooling, then you should receive a DD214.  If you also completed tours or deployments or periods of special work beyond 90 days then you should receive a DD214 for the periods.  If you were activated and deployed in a campaign, then you should receive a DD214.  Many Reservists can have multiple DD214's for periods of service in Kuwait, Afghanistan, Iraq or Syria.  If you were in the Army, you can call the Army Human Resources Command.

Calling is actually quicker and they can provide specific details. They can also check your retirement points and tabulate your good years toward retirement. Correspondence courses also count toward points. They can also issue awards and medals if they were not Noted on your DD214. They also provide a Corrected DD215.  The Human Resources Command should be notified before filing an Appeal to the Awards Board. If the Human Resources Command will not correct the DD215 and issue an Award, then an Appeal to the Board should be made. They are still correcting awards from Vietnam. In some cases Units were awarded Presidential Unit Citations, or awards were not noted on their DD214's.  As you may be aware there is a Stolen Valor Act, whereby the proper award, issue and wear of the awards is taken seriously by many veterans groups.

Take Care