1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 19, 2017 6:32 AM by Research Services at the National Archives

My grandfather, Army Sergeant William D. Gherardi, served in World War II  in the 396th Fighter Squadron. His received an Honorable Discharge on September 25th 1945 in Utica, New York.

Mike Klenert

My grandfather, Army Sergeant William D. Gherardi, served in World War II  in the 396th Fighter Squadron. His received an Honorable Discharge on September 25th 1945 in Utica, New York.

Unfortunately this past Sunday we lost our beloved father, grandfather and great-grandfather at 95 years old.

As with many WWII veterans my grandpa had an extremely difficult time speaking about his service. It was a painful part of his life and he never wanted to talk about it.

My family and I are looking to replace his damaged Honorable Discharge certificate as well as any other official paperwork that might still be available. I was hoping you could point in the right direction on how to go about this and what paperwork would still even be available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you