1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 15, 2017 7:53 AM by Research Services at the National Archives

My father was in Company C of the 104th Infantry Regiment from early November 1944 to 1 January 1945, and during this time he received a Bronze Star and cluster.  I'm interested in getting the unit's (regimental, brigade and company-level if available) af

Phil Lusk Newbie

My father was in Company C of the 104th Infantry Regiment from early November 1944 to 1 January 1945, and during this time he received a Bronze Star and cluster.  I'm interested in getting the unit's (regimental, brigade and company-level if available) after action reports and operational records.  Once the available records are located, I'm planning a visit to the National Archives to review the information and make copies of the pertinent information, but want to ensure that this will be done as smoothly as possible.  I've also an interest in any unit photos that might exist from this time, but that's likely a separate question.  I'm also planning a trip to the NPRC Archival Research Room in St. Louis to get copies of the unit's Morning Reports and Unit Rosters. Thanks for any guidance you might provide!  Phil Lusk

• Re: My father was in Company C of the 104th Infantry Regiment from early November 1944 to 1 January 1945, and during this time he received a Bronze Star and cluster.  I'm interested in getting the unit's (regimental, brigade and company-level if available
          Research Services at the National Archives Scout

Dear Mr. Lusk,

Thank you for sharing your question with the History Hub.

The unit records you are interested in viewing are most likely part of National Archives’ Record Group 407 Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917- [AGO], series “World War II Operations Reports”(Entry NM-3 427). You can find more information about the series here in the National Archives Catalog.

Information for individual companies is often included in regimental records. We reviewed our finding aid for the series listed above and located information about the 104th Infantry Regiment, which was attached to the 26th Infantry Division. The file designation for operation reports or after action reports for the 104th is 326-INF(104)-0.3, and the file designation for its history is 326-INF(104)-0. You may review the finding aid for further potentially pertinent files when you visit the National Archives.

These records are in the custody of the Textual Reference Branch at the National Archives in College Park, Maryland (Archives II), and they can be viewed in the Textual Research Room (Room 2000) there. When you visit the Archives, you will need to register for a Researcher Identification Card, which you will be asked to show when you visit each of our research rooms. In order to obtain a Researcher ID card, you will need to show official photographic identification (e.g. passport or driver’s license), fill out a brief form, and watch a short presentation. You can find out more about Research Card Requirements on our website.

When you arrive in the Textual Research Room, you will want to consult with the reference archivists who will help you fill out a pull slip to request the records you want to view. Prior to you visit, you can also review our Information for Researchers and Plan Your Research Visit webpages for further information and useful tips.

Additionally, you may want to look at the #ResearcherProTip posts here in the History Hub before your visit. This entry on Making Reproductions of Records, for example, includes a lot of helpful information about making photocopies or taking photographs of records in the Textual Research Room.

Thank you, again, for posting your inquiry to the History Hub, and best of luck with your planned research visit to the National Archives.

2 of 2 people found this helpful