1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 1, 2017 9:40 AM by Patrick Connelly

I was looking at the Civil War Draft registration records of 1863

rosemary dailey

... and found my family member. What concerns me is that the first 8 names on the page have no age, or place of birth. They are listed as laborer,with two letters in script behind it, which I am unsure of  ZU?The recorder used ditto marks to record their color and profession.  I looked at numerours other pages inthis book trying to see if there were others recorded the same, and did not see any. I thougth perhaps they  had been recorded on another page, so info was not included, but as I checked the other "C" pages  I could find no other mention of them. Any ideas? My gr gr grandfather was the only son of a widow...so he would have been  exempt according to  the enrollment act . I can't find him on any muster rolls as actively serving...so I am thinking that they recorded this info in such a way to indicate this. How they knew to group these 8 men together on the top of the page together, I can only guess. They are all recorded as living in the same township and when they totaled the men at the end of the page, they were counted in.

• Re: I was looking at the Civil War Draft registration records of 1863
          Patrick Connelly

Ms. Dailey,

I'm assuming you were looking at the draft records provided by Ancestry.com.  If so, these are scans of a series of records held at the National Archives entitled Consolidate Enrollment Lists,  1863-1865 (https://catalog.archives.gov/id/4213514 ).  As the title suggests, these records compiled information from other sources, namely enrollment lists that were created at the Provost Marshal district level.  There may be additional information in the records of the districts such as original enrollment lists, exemption lists, and medical registers.  These district records were sent to NARA's regional facilities about 8 years ago. 

You can search in the National Archives catalog (https://catalog.archives.gov/) for records specific to the district you found your gr-grandfather originally (for example - provost marshal Pennsylvania 23rd district).  The catalog record lists the National Archives office in which the records are located. 

Sincerely,

Patrick Connelly

Archivist

The National Archives at Philadelphia

1 of 1 people found this helpful