2 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2017 3:52 PM by Research Services at the National Archives

I am tryng to trace a document that is a kind of conclution or closure to the American-Mexican Claims Commission of 1923. Where do I start?

Miguel Ángel Grijalva Dávila

Hello, I am tryng to find out if there is a document kind of conclution or closure to the American-Mexican Claims Commission of 1923.

Dos anybody know about it?

Where can I look in the NARA?

• Re: I am tryng to trace a document that is a kind of conclution or closure to the American-Mexican Claims Commission of 1923. Where do I start?
          Larry Shockley

This might be a good place to start: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/10474470

United States and Mexico General and Special Claims Commissions. Agency of the United States. 1923-1936

Organization Authority Record

Organization Name:United States and Mexico General and Special Claims Commissions. Agency of the United States. 1923-1936
          Role(s):Related to 40 catalog description(s)
          Created 40 series
          Personal Reference(s):Clark, J. Reuben (Joshua Reuben), 1871-1961
          Administrative History Note:Article III of the convention of September 8, 1923, and article IV of the convention of September 10, 1923, between the United States and Mexico provied that each Government could appoint agents and counsel who would have the authority to present to the General and the SpecialClaims Commissions arguments for or against any claim. This provision led to the establishment of the Agency of the United States (usually referred to as the American Agency or the United States Agency) whose duty was to present and defend all claims before those international claims commissions. Each claim filed with the Agnecy by a citizen of the United States was assigned an Agency number in order of date of receipt. Afterwards, when the claim was presented by the Agency to either the General Claims Commission or the Special ClaimsCommission, it was assigned a docket number by one of the two Commission, also in order of date of receipt. Thus most claims bear two numbers. "Agency" numbers run from 1 through 6605, "General" numbers from 1 through 3617, and "Special" numbers from 1 through 3175. The Agency of the United States organized a Research and Information Section to aid the legal staff in gathering all possible information and evidence.

Henry W. Anderson was designated as the Agent of the United States when these ClaimsCommission were first organized, and he held this position until his resignation on June 30, 1926. J. Reuben Clark, Jr., served in the position from Julky to September 1926 and was succeeed by Clement L. Bouvé, who served until 1931. Claims work was suspended from 1931 to 1934. In 1934, when work on claims was resumed, the Agency was revived and Bert L. Hunt was designated as the Agent. Departmental Order No. 596, dated July 2, 1934, placed the Agency under the supervision of Assistant Secrteraies of State Wilbur J. Carr and R. Walton Moore and Legal Advisor Green H. Hackworth. This three-man group was often referred to as "The MexicanClaims Committee."

Some of the series of records of the Agency, as well as of the General and Special ClaimsCommission, are not complete, clear cut, or well arranged. These faults may be explained by the peculiar nature of the administrative history of the Commissions and other entities which produced and accumulated the records. For example, the Commissions were not in continuous session during their existence. Frequent periods of inactivity and changes in organization and in methods of procedure were not conducive to the maintenance of well-defined and clear-cut series of records. New series of records came into existence after changes were made in organization and procedures. Often a new series would absorb a part of the records of an earlier series, leaving the old series incomplete.

• Re: I am tryng to trace a document that is a kind of conclution or closure to the American-Mexican Claims Commission of 1923. Where do I start?
            Research Services at the National Archives

Mr. Davila:

The records of the US Mexican Claims Commission are in Record Group (RG) 76, Records of Boundary and Claims Commissions and Arbitrations. You may wish to start by looking at our catalog entry for these records at: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/405. You can also do an advanced search (https://catalog.archives.gov/advancedsearch) using “United States Mexican” as the Search Term and “76” as the Record Group Number. This should get you 109 hits. On the left side of the page, you should see Refine By: Location. You can use this to see what kind of records we have in various locations. Each individual entry should have an email address within the description. Most of this material is in our College Park,Maryland, facility. You can email them at archives2reference@nara.gov.

2 of 2 people found this helpful