3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2017 9:41 AM by Christopher Burroughs

Sources about US politics during the time of the iranian revolution

Nima Vatani

Hello,

I am writing from Denmark.

I am about to make an examination of the U.S foreign policy towards the Shah, and Khomeini and the islamists in Iran, about the time of the iranian revolution. I want to examine several aspects, e.g. how the US established connections with the Islamists, and which interests they had in establishing such connections. Within this, my thoughts are on the obvious weakening of the Shah, the US’s interests in establishing good connections with an eventually future regime, the US’s view on Islamists as the best alternative compared to the left and the communist, and the interest of the US in handing the revolution in a controlled way to the Islamists, since they feared that the riots might get out of control and favor the Soviet Union.

I want your recommendations about where I can find the best (primary) sources on this? I have heard that US National Archives in Washington DC have a lot of good primary sources on this. Is this right? Or do you have any other ideas?

I hope that you will be able to answer my question.

Thanks!

Best regards

Emil Vatani

• Re: Sources about US politics during the time of the iranian revolution
          Christopher Burroughs

Hello Emil

Thank you for contacting History Hub with your inquiry. The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) does indeed have sources regarding U.S. relations with Iran in the time period you described. Among the record groups that may be of interest to you are several within the Records of the Department of State (Record Group 59), including Records Relating to U.S. Relations with Iran, 1947-1980 which can be found here, as well as records of U.S. relations from 1965-75. There are also country files for Iran for the years 1979 and 1978-79, as well as other years, within the Records of the U.S. Information Agency (RG 306). The General Records of the Department of Treasury (RG 56) has records related to the Iran Hostage Situation as well, which may be found here and here. In addition to NARA, several presidential libraries have records on Iran as well, including the Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, and Ronald Reagan libraries.

These are just a sampling of the records that were retrieved during a search of NARA records. You may be able to find even more items pertinent to your research by searching the NARA online catalog, which can be found by following this link. Records from presidential libraries may be found through this catalog as well. Again, thank you for contacting History Hub, and best of luck in your research!

Chris Burroughs

2 of 2 people found this helpful