4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2017 1:52 PM by Celeste Walz

Looking for Jack Jenkins - possibly Choctaw

Celeste Walz

Born: 1764, St Tammany, Louisiana Died: after 1844, Choctaw nation, Indian Territory.

I know he was married to a Caroline Cooper, and they had a son Abner Earnest Jenkins Sr. (born in South Carolina).

Jack was mentioned in both the 1831 Armstrong Roll Dancing Rabbit Creek Treaty with the Choctaw as a landowner, and in a WPA interview as having Chickasaw parents. His daughter, Lucy Jenkins McElroy was born and died on Chickasaw Nation according to the same interview.

I'm trying to find his parents, or any thing else about Jack.

Thanks,

Celeste

• Re: Jack Jenkins
          cherkea

The records of the Choctaw at the time of the 1830 treaty and adjudication of claims thereafter are here at the National Archives in Washington, DC. Most have not been microfilmed and there are only a few cases where there are lists that are alphabetized and easy to check. There is an Alphabetical List of Choctaw Reserves, (Record Group 75, Entry 259), which indexes the several thousand names on the 1831 Armstrong Roll. There are no applications accompanying it. The 1831 Armstrong Roll is on microfilm and can be ordered for a cost (RG 75, Entry 258, branch microfilm A-39). There is also a published version by Larry S. Watson (ISBN 11425967) and the Roll is available on AccessGenealogy.com.

Information on the Roll did not include parents’ names, unfortunately.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
              Celeste Walz

I found him on the Armstrong Roll. I haven't been able to find out what is meant by 'Over', 'Under', or 'Locality'.  I'm also not sure why he would be listed twice - it looks like the same remarks(location).

Thanks for the info about AccessGenealogy.

Celeste

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  cherkea

This census roll lists individual Indians owning farms.  It shows name, number of acres cultivated, number of persons in the family, number of males over 16, number of children under 10, location of farm, and sometimes its probable value. 

I am not sure why he would be listed twice. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  cherkea

An additional resource to search is the microfilm publication M234, Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs. Rolls 169, 170, 184, 185, and 188 relate to the Choctaw Nation for 1824-1845. This series reproduces letters, reports, memoranda and other correspondence. The records are complex, but once you spend a little time with them you find all sorts of interesting materials. The records are arranged chronologically and then according to an alphanumeric filing scheme with a Register of Letters on M18.

3 of 3 people found this helpful