1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 13, 2017 9:13 AM by Kelly McAnnaney

Finding naturalization petition

Theresa Myers Newbie

I have a citation for the index filed naturalization petition for my great grandfather, and am hoping to find a more detailed petition with more information about him. I have the citation, how do I find it here?

Petition: "New York Naturalization Index (Soundex), 1792-1906," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVT7-71WB : 13 February 2015), John G Bowden, 1891; citing , New York, New York, United States, Index to Naturalization Petitions filed in Federal, state and local court in New York, 1792-1906, NARA microfilm publication M1674 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll 13; FHL microfilm 1,419,839.

• Re: Finding naturalization petition
          Kelly McAnnaney Wayfarer

The petition for naturalization you cite is digitized and available through Ancestry.com. (Though a subscription database, you can access Ancestry for free at National Archives locations as well as many public libraries.) You can view the record by searching the index "New York, State and Federal Naturalization Records, 1794-1940," on Ancestry. Unfortunately, the index card available on Family Search contains all of the information on the actual petition. Pre-1906 naturalization records are not very detailed and contain little information.

If you are unable to access Ancestry, or have additional questions, please contact the National Archives at New York City directly for assistance. They can be reached via email at newyork.archives@nara.gov

1 of 1 people found this helpful