1 Reply Latest reply on May 10, 2022 10:12 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking records of 158th Regimental Combat Team at Wakde-Sarmi

craig siegel Newbie

I am researching the battle of Lone Tree Hill, also called the battle of Wakde-Sarmi, at Maffin Bay, New Guinea in World War II in 1944. The primary units engaged were the 6th Infantry Division and the 158th Regimental Combat Team. I am interested in any information regarding this engagement including: unit records, after action reports, personal letters/diaries, etc. I am interested in units and personnel that participated in any capacity, not just combat, but also headquarters and support personnel. I have a couple of personal interviews from several years ago from veterans and have reviewed the readily-available published material. But I especially need more veteran personal stories for my research. Sadly I have not located any additional living veterans who participated in this engagement. If you know of a veteran still living who would consent to being interviewed, or have access any archival material like letters or diaries please let me know. I assume that unit records are available for research at the National Archives, but I am not able to visit Washington, DC at this time, so I am hoping there is an alternate method of viewing at least some of this type of material online. Any information you have will be most appreciated.