1 Reply Latest reply on May 3, 2022 7:09 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking Schutzstaffel (SS) personnel records from Nazi Germany

    Henry Buckley Newbie

      My grandfather was in WWII, and I want to find his Schutzstaffel (SS) personnel file. I understand the some of them were burned, but I want to find a place where I can, at least, look! Thanks

        • Re: Seeking Schutzstaffel (SS) personnel records from Nazi Germany
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Mr. Buckley,

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          In 1994, the National Archives accessioned microfilm copies of the biographic collections held by the former Berlin Document Center (BDC).  These collections, totaling approximately 39,000 microfilm rolls, include: personnel records for SS (including Waffen-SS) officers and, to a lesser extent, SS enlisted personnel; membership registries and associated correspondence of the Nazi Party; documentation on membership in Nazi-affiliated or -sponsored organizations; and records relating to the naturalization of ethnic Germans during World War II. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          You may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic.  Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.


          The original copies of German Army, Air Force, and Waffen-SS Paybooks (Soldbücher), Service Record Books (Wehrpaesse), Basic Military Record Books (Wehstammbücher), and Health Books (Gesundheitsbuecher) were returned to the Federal Republic of German by the Department of the Army through the US High Commissioner for Germany during 1953 and 1954.  For access to these records, please contact the Bundesarchiv - Abteilung PA, Eichborndamm 179, 13403 Berlin, Germany. The email address is poststelle-pa@bundesarchiv.de.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!