1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 26, 2022 9:16 AM by Julia Jennings-Jarrell

Seeking immigration records of my grandmother

Amanda Herzog Newbie

I'm seeking a certified copy of my Grandmother's immigration papers to Texas in the U.S. from Germany in the 1950s. The original document (which I found on ancestry.com) is from Treasury Department United States Customs Service, United States Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Services. On ancestry.com the location of this document was obtained from: The National Archives at Washington, D.C.; Washington, D.C.; Series Title: Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels and Airplanes Arriving at Houston, Texas; ARC Number: A3980; Record Group Title: Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, 1787-2004. Title: Texas, U.S., Arriving and Departing Passenger and Crew Lists, 1893-1963.

1- Where would I find the original source of this document?

2- How can I receive a certified copy?

I need this certified because I am applying for dual citizenship in Germany under the new law passed August 2021, Stag. under descendency. They require this to be certified or notarized.

• Re: Seeking immigration records of my grandmother
          Julia Jennings-Jarrell Scout

Dear Ms. Herzog,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels and Airplanes Arriving at Houston, Texas, 12/1954 - 12/1981 (A3980) in the Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service (Record Group 85). Some of the records have been digitized and are available using the Catalog. If you locate the document you seek, please email the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov and provide the National Archives Identifier with the image number(s) for instructions on how to order a certified copy. If you are unable to locate it, please contact RDT1 for assistance in locating it. 

You may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic.  Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

We hope this is helpful.