4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2022 3:18 PM by Jan Murphy

Seeking 1950 census for Jacksonville, FL

Dickson Grimes Wayfarer

I'm trying to find the census images for my parents who lived in Jacksonville, FL on Lowell Avenue.  I've determined the enumeration district to be 16-198, but no records seem to exist for that district...or any of the districts in West Jacksonville surrounding it.  Is there a chance these records could be lost?   Help!!

• Re: Seeking 1950 census for Jacksonville, FL
          Dickson Grimes Wayfarer

I think I finally figured out why I couldn't find 16-198, which is the district that ancestry.com came up with.  It looks like the district was 68-198.  Cities must have had a separate district number. 

• Re: Seeking 1950 census for Jacksonville, FL
              Jan Murphy Adventurer

Ancestry's ED map explorer is useful for getting the lay of the land, but I find it much easier to use the Unified ED finder at Stephen P. Morse's One-Step Web Pages. https://stevemorse.org/census/unified.html

Choosing Florida and then Duval County, the City/Town drop-down gives you a choice of Other, Jacksonville, and Jacksonville Beach. It makes it much easier to see that Jacksonville will be in a separate set of EDs than the rest of Duval County.  Most big cities have their own ED and have to be chosen separately. This is confusing a lot of people who expect to be able to choose the county first and find all the cities underneath it.

If you put Lowell Avenue into the street address, the finder tells you which EDs have some part of Lowell Ave in them.

68-198, 68-199, 68-201, 68-204

You can narrow it down further by entering a house number, looking at a map, and entering cross and back streets.  From there you can click on the ED number (in your case, 68-198) to view the ED description, get a list of street names in the ED, or view the census via NARA, Ancestry, or FamilySearch.

My advice is to use the maps AND the ED descriptions together whenever you have difficulty figuring out what's going on.  The enumerator instructions, which you can find at the US Census Bureau site, have instructions on the path the enumerator was supposed to take through the district.  Mapping the enumerator's path can help you see what's going on when you can't find the house or people you want.