1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 8, 2022 1:24 PM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking outpatient treatment record for USPH Marine Hospital

Michael Bracey Wayfarer

How to get an 1969 Outpatient treatment record for USPH Marine Hospital, Staten Island, NY? In 1969 while home on leave on Staten Island, NY, I was seen at USPH Marine Hospital an outpatient for treatment of my foot.  Years ago I was given an address to write for that outpatient record.  I was told then that it would not be at NARA in College Park.

• Re: Seeking outpatient treatment record for USPH Marine Hospital
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

Dear Mr. Bracey,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog, but we were unable to locate any patient records from the 1960s for the Staten Island Public Health Service Hospital in the Records of the Public Health Service (Record Group 90) or in the General Records of the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare (Record Group 235), the predecessor to the Department of Health and Human Services. We suggest that you contact the records managers at the Public Health Service (USPHS) or at Health and Human Services (HHS) for more information.

According to information online, the hospital became the Bayley Seton Hospital in 1981 and was run by the Sisters of Charity. The hospital changed hands several times after that and eventually closed. We suggest that you contact the organizations that administered the hospital or local municipal archives and historical societies for additional assistance.

We hope this is helpful.