2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2022 8:20 PM by Christina Adams

Illegible page in census - scanned incorrectly

Christina Adams Newbie

My mom and I went through every page of her ED (36-12, the only one for Colerain Township, Lancaster County, PA) for the 1950 census and couldn't find the record for her and her family. But there was one page that hadn't been scanned properly and is illegible (p. 39), we can only assume that that her record would be on that page. Is there any way to report this? What are the chances this will be fixed?  Only part of the page was scanned and it is blurry.

• Re: Illegible page in census - scanned incorrectly
          Claire Kluskens Pioneer

Christina:  As you saw, page (image) 39 has part of Sheet 73 on top with part of Sheet 74 underneath.  The microfilm camera operator in 1952 realized his or her mistake.  Go to page (image) 40 - and you will see a perfect sheet 73.  Go to page (image) 41 - and you will see a perfect Sheet 74.  I hope this helps.  If you cannot find the family in Colerain Township, it is possible the family was living in a different nearby location and was enumerated at that other location.

1 person found this helpful
            • Re: Illegible page in census - scanned incorrectly
              Christina Adams Newbie

Thank-you.  I think a more likely scenario is that the census taker missed the house, which was the only house on a dirt road at that time.  My mother said that she moved to that home around 1946 and lived there until going away to college in the '60s.  Looking at the census records, there are a number of notations were the census taker comments that she initially missed a house because didn't realize it was there.  That was probably fairly easy to do in such a rural area.  Mom was kind of excited about seeing her census record, hopefully she will get to the chance to do so in another 10 years, but she will be 87 then.