2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2022 8:04 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking Navy records of leave taken from 1944

    Kathy Halliday Newbie

      I am trying to confirm my uncle's leave to be married during WW2. He was on the SS Kingfisher (SS 234) in the South Pacific. He is on the Muster Roll in December, 1943, but then doesn't seem to appear on a muster roll until 1945, when Ancestry shows him on the SS Runner. He was married in Perth, Australia in August of 1944. I assume there are more complete records of his service somewhere - could someone please point me in the right direction to fill in the gap?

        • Re: Seeking Navy records of leave taken from 1944
          J. Andrew Tracker

          What was his name and rank?  Please keep in mind that Ancestry name indexing is imperfect.  You may want to manually browse the muster rolls to double check. Also, if his ship was in port and he got married during his normal off hours, he may not have had to leave.

          • Re: Seeking Navy records of leave taken from 1944
            Jason Atkinson Guide

            Dear Ms. Halliday,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            For a more complete record of his service, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and before 1960 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. In Section 1, Item 1, where it asks which items you are requesting, please check “Other” and specify that you want the entire file. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests. Please note that while the OMPF may include leave information, there is no guarantee that it will be included, or if it is included, that it will specify the purpose of the leave.


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Muster Rolls of U.S. Navy Ships, Stations, and Other Naval Activities, 1/1/1939 - 1/1/1949 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that includes Kingfisher - Muster Rolls. This file has been digitized and may be viewed online through the Catalog. You may wish to browse through the muster rolls to double check whether your uncle’s name appears in additional locations on the muster rolls.  The name indexing by Ancestry is imperfect and incomplete and we have sometimes located names that do not come up in searches on Ancestry.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


            [information provided in part by Nate Patch, subject matter expert]