5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2016 11:11 AM by Jason Clingerman

Tag/flag Records for Quality?

Tommy Cicero Wayfarer

What is the correct way to tag/flag records that have digital quality issues?  For example: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/514350 has a horridly low resolution, so much so that the words aren't readable.

• Re: Tag/flag Records for Quality?
          Jason Clingerman Wayfarer

Tommy Cicero you can report low quality images by emailing catalog@nara.gov and providing the link.

We are in the process of systematically replacing low quality images with better versions, but it takes a while. Also, we don't necessarily have better versions of every image in which case we would have to rescan it.

I will forward the image you mentioned to the appropriate staff member to look into replacing. Thanks for pointing it out!

Tommy Cicero Wayfarer

Ok thanks.  I was hoping for a more comprehensive way.

For reference the following has been my experience. In the last two years I have sent maybe a dozen emails to the address you provided with minor catalog issues(scan quality, incorrect metadata dates, incorrect titles. etc) .  About half have gone into a big black hole apparently because I haven't heard anything back.  Of the remainder 3 were fixed pretty quick with a quick email to update me.  One took a year to fix but I got a very nice email explaining why.  And two I've gotten terse replies telling me they would add it to the list but don't hold my breath.

Jason Clingerman Wayfarer

For the example you provided, a slightly better version can be downloaded here. We are in the process of replacing the current version with that version, which should be complete after a few weeks.

I am also reaching out to our digitization labs to see if this is in the queue for a rescan.