5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2022 10:13 AM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking identity of soldier in photo who served in Vietnam

Kelly Eekhoff Wayfarer

I am looking for the identity of this man. I am searching for my biological father. I Have no other information on either of them. This man's brother would have been in the north Iowa area in April of 1977. More specifically the Britt, Garner or Kanawha area. I am desperate to find any information to help me identify him for medical purposes. My mother passed away in 2015. Can anyone help identify this man? Name could possibly be Matt or a variation of Matthew. Any direction would be very much appreciated

• Re: Seeking identity of Vietnam soldier in photo
          Elliot Schneider Guide

Kelly,

Did you try to obtain state adoption records in the state that you lived or grew up or was adopted in? They may have clues in the adoption papers regarding your biological parents. Was this picture given to you by your biological mother? How did you come across this photo, and whom do you think this individual is in the photo?

Kelly Eekhoff Wayfarer

Elliot,

I was not adopted. My mother became pregnant with me as result of a over indulgent night out with friends. The man who I always knew to be my father doesnt know that I am not his biological child. My step father is the one who gave me the little information that I do have. I was not aware of anything until 3 yrs after my mom passed. I confronted my step father with my DNA results and told me the little he claims to know.

The man in the photograph is my biological uncle. Two of his biological children and I were matched on Ancestry. After speaking to one of their family members it was discovered that her aunt and uncle (the mans biological children) were my first half cousins. They are both 50% Vietnamese. We have several in common matches on Ancestry, however cannot seem to connect the dots.

Elliot Schneider Guide

Kelly,

The question I need to know since you do not know your biological fathers name nor your biological uncles name. Whom gave you the photo? Was it the biological uncles children whom gave it to you?

Next question do the biological uncles children know their fathers name? Have you tried reaching out to these individuals that you were a match too on the DNA test?

Kelly Eekhoff Wayfarer

Good morning. It was the niece of the man in the picture. Her name is Tuyen Tate. Her aunt, Ngan Tran and her biological brother Aaron Luong are the children of the man in the picture. Aaron was adopted from Vietnam in 1971 at 3 days old. I'm not sure if Ngan was adopted out or not but Im sure I could find out. Both were product of the war and not a relationship, if that makes sense.

I have reached out to our matches on Ancestry. Unfortunately none of them have responded. The closest matches are as follows:

Shane Shown

Garrett Mertens

Carrie Dunkelberger Gnagy

Charles Glen Adams

Roy Reeves

George Dusek

Virginia Woods

Michael Berrigan

Most of the matches listed are half seconds to half third cousins. Do you think you can help me identify this person? It's thought that his name was Matthew or a variation of that name. I look forward to hearing back from you. Thank you.

Kelly

• Re: Seeking identity of soldier in photo who served in Vietnam
                  Rachael Salyer Ranger

Dear Ms. Eekhoff,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you contact veterans organizations in Iowa for lists of individuals who served in Vietnam from the region you are interested in. For example, the Iowa Vietnam Veterans Memorial Directory of Names is available on the state website. Local historical societies, archives, or libraries may also be able to offer assistance about Vietnam veterans from their specific regions. The Iowa Veterans Remembrance Project at the University of Northern Iowa may also be able to provide you with more information about local veterans.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!