1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 17, 2022 9:55 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking husband's grandfather's pension

    Jamie Mayhew Newbie

      My husband's grandfather served as a private in Troop E, 11th US Cavalry from 1901-1904 and received a disability pension in 1906 with additional paperwork dated 1909, 1910, 1922. He died in 1964. During the pandemic I tried to get his pension records from Nara 1 and was told to request from Nara, St. Louis. Now it says to request from Veterans Affairs through a FOIA. Any help with how to get this information and why the change?

        • Re: Seeking husband's grandfather's pension
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Jamie Mayhew,

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Veteran pension files should be in the custody of the Department of Veterans Affairs if they were still active in 1955 when the inactive files were transferred to the National Archives. Because the veteran did not pass away until 1964, his pension file would have remained active until his death or the death of any surviving beneficiaries such as a widow.


          Since both RDT1 and RL-SL have already informed you that they do not have the file, please file a FOIA request with the Department of Veterans Affairs.  Their FOIA website is https://www.va.gov/foia/.  All questions regarding VA’s FOIA procedures and fees may be emailed to VACOFOIAService@va.gov.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!