1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 18, 2022 10:12 AM by Rachael Salyer

Where can I find records of African students in medical colleges?

Oluwatoyin Oduntan Newbie

I am searching for records of African students studying medicine in the USA since the 19th century up till 1960. I wonder if immigration records display course study, etc. Is there a nation-wide list of college students and their course or places of origins? Thanks for your help.

• Re: Where can I find records of African students in medical colleges?
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

Dear Oluwatoyin Oduntan,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Central Decimal Files, 1910-1963 in the General Records of the Department of State (Record Group 59) that includes many index references to file 811.111, which is the file number is for documents relating to the applications from foreign citizens for a visa to enter the United States. For more information about these and similar records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. More information about the Department of State Central Files (RG 59) is available on NARA’s website.

If you are interested in records related to specific African countries, then we may be able to locate additional relevant resources in Record Group 59, in the Records of the Foreign Service Posts of the United States (Record Group 84), or in other related record groups. Please note that we are unable to locate a comprehensive list of college students, their courses of study, and places of origin. Much of that information could be protected or withheld for personal privacy reasons as well.

You may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic.  Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

Next, we suggest that you contact the archives of the specific medical colleges and universities that you are interested in, such as the University of Pennsylvania Archives, the Center for the History of Medicine at Countway Library, Harvard University, or the Dartmouth College Archives for the Dartmouth Medical School.

Finally, you may be able to locate some relevant information in historical newspapers and periodicals like those available from the Library of Congress Chronicling America website. Individual college or university libraries and archives may have historical collections of their own publications and yearbooks that could be useful.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!