1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 15, 2022 8:28 AM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking photos from WWII using Signal Corps numbers

Denise Auld Newbie

I have signal corps photos from WWII that have the SC number but not the descriptions. I know that NARA holds the signal corps originals and has the descriptions and blogs have said that you can search using the SC number (example: 166760) but I can't seem to search using the SC numbers. Am I missing something or is there another way to search the signal corps photos using the SC numbers?

• Re: Seeking photos from WWII using Signal Corps numbers
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

Dear Ms. Auld,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

In general, photographs taken by members of the Signal Corps are located in the Records of the Office of the Chief Signal Officer (Record Group 111). For example, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Photographs of American Military Activities, ca. 1918 - ca. 1981 in Record Group 111. Photographs within this series have a three-part numbering system that includes the record group number, the series designator, and the Signal Corps item number (e.g. 111-SC-147852). Other series within Record Group 111 have different series designators. Some examples include the series Color Portraits of U.S. Army Personnel and Other Personages, ca. 1935 - ca. 1982, which is 111-PC, and the series Color Photographs of Signal Corps Activity, 1944 - 1981, which is 111-C. Because there are multiple possible series designators, it is usually necessary to search with the full three-part number rather than just the Signal Corps item number. These records are all in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS). We suggest that you contact them directly at stillpix@nara.gov for assistance with Signal Corps photographs. Please include as much information as possible in your inquiry.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 people found this helpful