2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2022 9:24 AM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking military records of Jesse Hughes

    Regina Harvey Newbie

      Looking for info on my Great Grandfather. His name was Jesse A Hughes. DOB 12-2-1897. I have a handwritten letter from him to my great grandmother while he was stationed during WWII. They are marked from Indiantown gap, PA March 26, 1943. I am looking for any and all info on his time in the military, my family knows nothing about it. I requested records from the NPRC but got a reply email that they are closed down due to the pandemic. I believe he was the Army or National Guard

        • Re: Seeking military records of Jesse Hughes
          Elliot Schneider Guide



          Here is some information and where he is buried. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/52199741/jessie-andrew-hughes



          Name:Jesse A Hughes
          Marital status:Single, without dependents (Single)
          Birth Year:1897
          Nativity State or Country:North Carolina
          Residence:Monroe, Tennessee
          Education:Grammar school
          Civil Occupation:General farmers
          Enlistment Date:28 Oct 1942
          Enlistment Place:Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia
          Service Number:34379891
          Branch:Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
          Component:Selectees (Enlisted Men)
          Source:Enlisted Man, Regular Army, after 3 months of Discharge



          Name:Jesse A Hughes
          Death Date:5 May 1979
          Enlistment Date:28 Oct 1942
          Discharge Date:13 Apr 1943
          Enlistment Branch 1:UNK





          WW2 Draft Card:

          WW1 Draft Card:




          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking military records of Jesse Hughes
            Lisha Penn Ranger

            Dear Ms. Harvey,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            Because you received an email about the NPRC being closed due to COVID-19, we suggest that you now request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1960 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!