1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 18, 2022 3:15 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking Castle Garden records for Carl Post

Lukas Dieudonne Newbie

Hello, yesterday I found long needed informations about a man named Carl Post in the Castle Garden records. Carl Post (*1815) took part in the German Revolution of 1848/49 and fled to France. From there on he emigrated to the US in September 1849 from the port of Havre. The records of Castle Garden state that a man named "Mr. Post" arrived with the ship Jenny Lind on the 3. Oct. 1849 in New York. I knew before that he was accompanied by a man named Friedrich Wilhelm Grevel. The Castle Garden records state that they arrived with the same ship. The occupation of both men as merchant (Post) and doctor (Grevel) ist also correctly listed.

The I searched for the mircofilm records of the passenger list in the National Archives and found the full list of passengers. (Series M 237, Roll 84, Frames 194 to 199). Unfortunatly I couldnt find the name Post or Grevel on the list. There are also no occupations listed for all passengers. I think that I definitly have the correct passenger list. How is it possible that the names are listed at the database of Castle Garden but not in the real passenger list? Why are the occupations listed correctly at Castle Garden records but not for a single one of the passenders of the ship. Are there more extensive passenger lists somewhere else? Out of which documents does the Castle Garden database got its informations from? I hope some of you could help me to clear this up. I would be very thankful for tips or help.

• Re: Seeking Castle Garden records for Carl Post
          Rebecca Collier Guide

Dear Mr. Dieudonne,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Passenger Lists, 1817 - 1897 (M237) of vessels arriving at the Port of New York in the Records of the U.S. Customs Service (Record Group 36) that may include the lists of the Jennie Lind for 1847-1850. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at New York (RE-NY) at newyork.archives@nara.gov.

We searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the Data Files Relating to the Immigration of Germans to the United States, documenting the period 1850 - 1897 in the Records of the Center for Immigration Research (Collection CIR) that includes 10 files pertaining to Carl Post and one file pertaining to Fred Grevel. These data files were part of the Ship Passenger Records for 1820-1912 in the Castle Garden Immigration Center Collection. The records were extracted from ship passenger lists in the Records of the U.S. Customs Service (Record Group 36). The series includes passenger lists for four separate geographic areas: Italy, the UK and Ireland, Germany (containing records on German, French, and Swiss passengers), and Russia (containing records on passengers from the Russian Empire, Austria-Hungary, the Netherlands, Scandinavia and the other countries of Europe). The lists contain passenger information such as name, age, marital status, place of last residence, and destination. This series also includes a ship manifest file and code tables which explain the values recorded in the passenger lists. For more information about the database, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Electronic Records (RDE) at cer@nara.gov.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RE-NY and RDE.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

NARA is not responsible for the information contained on other websites.  To determine the origins of the contents of the Castle Garden database, please contact The Battery Conservancy, 1 Whitehall Street, 17th Floor, New York, NY 10004.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!