2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2022 11:45 AM by Thomas Seiter

Looking for deck logs for the USS Concord (AFS-5)

Thomas Seiter Newbie

I am looking for deck logs for the USS Concord (AFS-5) for 1974 and 1975. I couldn't find them on the NARA website. Can anyone help me? I am new to searching for deck logs. I want to find them to help a Veteran friend win his VA claim.

• Re: Looking for deck logs for the USS Concord (AFS-5)
          Jason Atkinson Guide

Dear Mr. Seiter,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Logbooks of U.S. Navy Ships and Stations, 1941 - 1983 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that include the deck log of the USS Concord (AFS-5) for 1974 and 1975. Because the post-1970 deck logs contain Personal Identifiable Information (PII) in the form of Social Security Numbers (SSNs), the National Archives has to do a page-by-page redaction of the SSNs in order to make the deck logs available via the National Archives Catalog. These deck logs are not available online yet. For more information, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

Under normal circumstances, we would welcome you to visit the Textual Research Room (Room 2000) at the National Archives at College Park, Maryland in order for you to examine these logs (to include the post-1970 logs) in person. You also could hire a researcher to conduct research on your behalf. Unfortunately, the research room at the National Archives in College Park, MD is closed due to an increase in COVID-19 cases in Prince George's County. Once public health conditions improve and we are able to reopen the research room we will update our website with additional information.

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) already has digital copies of these deck logs that they should be able to access through their internal systems.  Please contact your nearest VA office for further assistance.

We hope this is helpful.

2 people found this helpful