2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2022 2:12 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking military service records of Dan Ernest Murphy

    Dan Deines Newbie

      Want to find military service records for Dan Ernest Murphy who was member of tank crew in Europe during WWII?  I have two photos of my uncle Dan Ernest Murphy standing with his tank and crew in 1944-45 in Europe.  Is there any information on his service record.  Neither he nor any family members ever mentioned his service in the Army during WWII.  I only have these two photos.  I think he fought in the Battle of the Bulge.  In the message on the back of the photo he comments on the damage to the fender of the tank caused by an 88.

        • Re: Seeking military service records of Dan Ernest Murphy
          Elliot Schneider Guide



          Here is some additional information. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/188044842/dan-e.-murphy



          Name:Dan E Murphy
          Birth Date:20 Sep 1918
          Death Date:27 Sep 1980
          Enlistment Branch:ARMY
          Enlistment Date:22 Jul 1944
          Discharge Date:6 Feb 1946



          Name:Dan E Murphy
          Marital status:Married
          Birth Year:1918
          Nativity State or Country:Kansas
          Residence:Jefferson, Alabama
          Education:4 years of high school
          Civil Occupation:Bakers
          Enlistment Date:22 Jul 1944
          Enlistment Place:Fort Levenworth, Kansas
          Service Number:37735556
          Branch:No branch assignment
          Component:Selectees (Enlisted Men)
          Source:Civil Life
          • Re: Seeking military service records of Dan Ernest Murphy
            Jason Atkinson Guide

            Dear Mr. Deines,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            We searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the World War II Army Enlistment Records database that includes a file pertaining to Dan E. Murphy. Please use the information in this file when requesting a copy of his/her Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!