2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2022 4:13 PM by Brandon Dodge

    Seeking pension files for James Dodge & David Nemetzky

    Brandon Dodge Wayfarer

      I am trying to locate the World War One XC Claims Files for my ancestors: James Robert Dodge (1894-1949) and David Nemetzky (1882-1947). I requested them from the NARA at St. Louis several years ago and was told that they are in possession of the VA. I have requested them through the VA (several times) and have been referred back to the NARA at St. Louis. Who else can I reach out to in order to request these files?

        • Re: Seeking pension files for James Dodge & David Nemetzky
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Mr. Dodge,

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the Veterans Administration Master Index, 1917 - 9/16/1940 in the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15) and located claims index cards for these individuals.  We are attaching images of the cards to the end of our reply.

          According to National Archives records, these two claims files are still in the legal custody of the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA). They were physically transferred to Federal Records Centers (FRCs) operated by the National Archives for storage purposes. Claim file number 497003 for James R Dodge has a transfer date of 8/28/2019. Claim file number 2124664 for David Nemetzky has a transfer date of 4/30/2013.

          Although these files are physically stored by the Federal Records Center program, because these files still belong to the VA, the VA is responsible for providing reference services for these records. You need to request the files from the VA under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). The VA will then be responsible for locating records that are responsive to your request, and determining which information in the records is eligible for release under FOIA. 


          Please contact the VA Baltimore Regional Office; Attn: FOIA/Privacy Act Officer; Federal Building; 31 Hopkins Plaza; Baltimore, MD  21201. The VA FOIA website is https://www.va.gov/foia/.  We suggest that you attach copies of these cards to your FOIA request as well as a copy of our response and any previous responses that you have received from the National Archives at St. Louis.

          If you have already filed a FOIA request with the VA and were unsatisfied with your response, you may wish to file an administrative appeal according to the procedures that they should have provided you.  Additionally, you may contact the Office of Government Information Services for assistance with resolving FOIA disputes and other issues.


          We hope this is helpful.


          1 person found this helpful