1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 7, 2022 2:24 PM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking Super 8 film footage shot by Nixon's staff

Daniel Gibson Wayfarer

I am looking for digitized video files of the Super 8 video camera footage shot by members of Nixon's team (Chapin, Ehrlichman and Haldeman) in the White House. Do these files exist in the archives and if so, where can I find them? I have searched the Archives but the results are very scattered and I was wondering if there is a collection where they are all in one place. Thanks in Advance

• Re: Seeking Super 8 film footage shot by Nixon's staff
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

Dear Mr. Gibson,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series John D. Ehrlichman's Files, 1/20/1969 - 4/30/1973 in the White House Staff Member and Office Files (Nixon Administration) (Collection RN-SMOF) that includes the White House Staff Super 8 Motion Picture Film subseries consisting of 204 rolls of color silent "Super 8" and one roll of color silent 16mm motion picture film found in the office files of John Ehrlichman. The Super 8 films also were shot by H. R. Haldeman, Larry Higby, and Dwight L. Chapin. In addition, we located the series White House Motion Film Unit Files, 1969-1974 in the Records of the Naval Photographic Center (Nixon Administration) (Collection RN-NPC) that consists of 517 separate titles of motion film coverage of selected official activities of President Richard Nixon filmed between 1969 and 1974 that may be of interest to you. These records have not been digitized. Please contact the Richard Nixon Library (LP-RN) at nixonreference@nara.gov for access to these and similar records.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from LP-RN.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!