4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2022 10:15 AM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking address for Washington & Lucy Hooker

Iria Rilley Newbie

I've  been trying to find the address/location in Natchez, MS in the 1870 and 1880 US federal census of my ancestors for some time. On both of these census where column 1 ask for house/dwelling address and column 2 ask for dwelling number there is no street address listed. According to the census my ancestors are listed on the 1870 census,  Wash and Lucy Hooker family is listed as dwelling, house number in the order of visitation is number 23 and the families, numbered in the order of visitation is number 23. The Post Office is Natchez, MS.  In the 1880 US Federal Census, the Enumeration District is 56, Inhabitants in Organs Precinct, Beat 3, Adams County, Mississippi. Column 1 and 2 is the same number also, Charity Napple/Napper 274 and Washington and Lucy Hooker 275. I sent in a research request to the Mississippi Department of Archives and History asking them for help identifying this location in the census and was told that they are unable to determine an address for someone based on his/her location in the federal census.. For an actual address, you would need a city directory, and they don't have city directories for Natchez from this time period.  Furthermore they said, if I wanted to send in another research request they would check to see if my ancestors owned property in Adams County, but this would not give me exact location where they lived, only the township and range of the property they owned, I hope someone can help me determine where this location is identified in  the 1870 and 1880 federal census.

• Re: Seeking address for Washington & Lucy Hooker
          Josette Schluter Navigator

Dear Ms. Riley,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The 1880 census was the first enumeration to record the street name and house number.  Even though space was provided on the census page, the enumerator did not always record it.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Enumeration District Descriptions and Enumeration District and Related Maps in the records of the Bureau of the Census Records (Record Group 29) that may contain information about Adams County, Mississippi (Enumeration District 56). For more information about these series, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Cartographic (RDSC) at carto@nara.gov.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSC.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful
              Iria Rilley Newbie

Thank you for your feedback, Josette, however I am not sure how to followthrough with your recommendation.   Can you share with me what I'm suppose to do when I get to the National Archives and Catalog U.S.NARA.  Is there a pamplet available with instructions for this website? I appreciate any help you can give regarding this matter. Iria Rilley

Rebecca Collier Guide

Dear Ms. Rilley,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

Please click on the links provided in our previous response. The first link will connect you to the series description in the National Archives Catalog. Scroll down to see if there are file units attached to this series and if there are, click on the “Search Within This Series”. Then enter the name of the county in the search box and click. If there are digitized records for the county you are interested, then click on the hyperlinked file unit title. If the file unit connects you to its description, please scroll down and see if there are items connected to this file unit. If there are, click on “Search Within This File Unit.” Then click on the item title to locate the digitized map(s). If there are no digitized maps for the county you seek, then contact the National Archives at College Park - Cartographic (RDSC) at carto@nara.gov for more assistance. Follow the same procedures for the second link provided. These maps may assist you in locating the street your family members lived on.

We hope this is helpful.

Elliot Schneider Guide

Iria,

Also I checked city 1870-1890s tax rolls and records and there was not a Lucy or Washington recorded with any property paying tax. This also shows address. I would assume if he was farming that he rented or was boarding and helping to farm other families land.

I know this doesn't help because Washington Hooker was already widowed but it shows him in the 1912 Directory

2 people found this helpful