9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2022 2:57 PM by MICHELLE MARTIN

Seeking biological father of Phyllis Erp

MICHELLE MARTIN Wayfarer

Seeking a list of all females born on May 2, 1929 with the first name of Phyllis. My Grandmother (Phyllis Elaine Last Name Unknown) was never told who her biological father was and her original birth certificate (that she "Phyllis" had a copy of) was altered to remove the hospital name and parents names by her mother. My Grandmother was adopted by her Stepfather Michael O'Kiersey in Cook County, Illinois. My Grandmother can be found in the 1930 census record Listed as Phyllis Erp, living with her Grandmother (Cora Minnie Erp) in Lyman Twsp, Ford Co. Illinois. Her mother is Cora Louise Erp and on the 1930 census is listed as living in Danville, Vermillion Co. Illinois as a Divorced woman. I was not able to find any marriage records or divorced records for her prior to her husband Michael O'Kiersey. As you can see on the 1930 record they used Cora's maiden name Erp for my Grandmother. I also located in Illinois, the Select United Methodist Church Records 1824-2009, Phyllis was baptized in 1929 in Paxton, Ill. using the name Phyllis Elaine Young, Her mother Cora Louise Erp & her Aunt Maude Elaine Zabel took part in the baptism. My mother and I have had a heck of a time trying to obtain Phyllis' original birth certificate from the State of Illinois. If anyone could help we would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

• Re: Seeking biological father of Phyllis Erp
          Elliot Schneider Guide

Michelle,

Here is some information on Cora Louise were she buried. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/234669092/cora-louise-okiersey

Larger memorial image loading...

Did find the baptism for her attached to Phyllis young.

1 person found this helpful
              MICHELLE MARTIN Wayfarer

Thank you Elliott, I was very blessed and grew up with my Grandmother and My Great Grandparents in my life. I am one of Cora's 2 Great Grandchildren listed in her Obit.  My Great Grandmother (Cora L Erp, O'Kiersey) just "Never" shared who my Grandmother's (Phyllis) birth father was.

Elliot Schneider Guide

Michelle,

Quick question have you tried looking into adoption records for the State, and County of Illinois. Not sure how long they would keep those records but might be worth calling the State Health Department and ask.

MICHELLE MARTIN Wayfarer

Elliott,

We have reached out to the State of Illinois and they have been no help so far. I think my situation is a face to face issue. They mailed us a bunch of paperwork to fill out and we sent it back in 2019. They mailed us back wrong paperwork in 2020 then signed us up for some medical research project in 2021. Definitely stuff we didn't ask for. We tried calling to explain and we were told she was mailing us stuff but could talk about it over the phone. Turns out it was just a letter saying they couldn't locate any of her paperwork. Which is weird because when my grandmother passed away we applied to Cook Co for her adoption birth certificate and we received that without any issues but this said they had NO records for my Grandmother at all. It's all just weird.

Rebecca Collier Guide

Dear Ms. Martin,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

As suggested, please contact the Illinois Department of Public Health for adoption records and birth certificates (original & after adoption). The FamilySearch How to Find Illinois Birth Records may be of assistance.

We hope this is helpful.

Niniane O'Kiersey Newbie

Hi Michelle! Phyllis was my aunt (though I only met her once when I was 3). I reached out to my mom (Mary) to see if she has any more information. I'm new to this site so don't know how it works, but if we can connect on here, I would love to!

MICHELLE MARTIN Wayfarer

Niniane,

It is so great to hear from you Thank you for taking the time to reach out to me. I believe the time that you met my "Guamie" Grandmother Phyllis, I was there and met you too. I had just graduated HS (1990) & my mother Karen & I came out to visit with family back in Chicago. Cora (My Great Grandmother) was in the hospital. You and your sister were both very young and super cute. You two took me on a tour of the house and a glimpse into the attic. I had never been in an attic before.... hahaha

Since my original post back in Jan. the state of Illinois ((((Finally)))) sent us a copy of Guamie's original birth certificate. It was completely unhelpful. Guamie was only given the name of Erp and Cora only listed her name on the certificate.

With the help of DNA, I am pretty sure I have located My Guamies Biological dad, WooHoo!!! I am going to reach out to some cousins I have found via DNA and see if they can help. I would love to stay in touch.

Mary E O'Kiersey Newbie

Hi Michelle,

I am Mary O'Kiersey. Phyllis was my big sister. She was 17 when I was born and engaged to some guy named Joe, but she broke it off just before the wedding. Karen her daughter, your grandmother, is my niece is 5 years younger than I. I have a few stories about Phil, she was a very cheerful soul.I was about 5 when she married Jim Erickson. He was a great guy and an excellent couples dance partner. If he had lived longer I would probably have tried Ballroom or partners dancing.

Anyhow, I have no idea who Mom's first husband was. He had a small band. She was working as a waitress in New Mexico (This ;is a story  in itself); His band was heading to a gig in Mexico (Juarwez?). They flirted and he asked Cora to go with them. She said,"I couldn't go traveling with a man unless I was married to him."He replied, "Let's get married tomorrow." So they did.

She was newly pregnant with Phil when her husband' decided to hold a small party with the band on his family's estate (i don 't know where) There was much drinking. Her 'husband' decided he wanted to fly his private byplane. Cora refused to rid with him. He grabbed one of the other wives. She sat in the second seat. He started ding loop-the-loops; the other wife passed out or the steering  column. They never recovered from the nose dive.

His parents wanted their grand child. Mom went into hiding. She ended up in Chicago where the only people who would help her wee the catholic church.

Your Great-great-great-great grandmotherCora Louise Erp gave birth to Phyllis onMay 5, 1929.

My bio Father adopted he in about 1935.

More later.

MICHELLE MARTIN Wayfarer

Hi Mary,

Thank you so much for your post above. Phyllis is my Grandmother & I am Karen's daughter We have met a few times. The last was at Guamies funeral You and Pat went out to dinner with all of us, Great Memory! I have found all the stories about (Phyllis's) Guamies dad very interesting. I have done extensive research & I have never found a wedding certificate, an annulment, a divorce decree or that she filed as a Widow. What really stumped me at 1st was if her Husband died, she would be a Widow, not a divorcee and back then it was better to be a widow then a Divorcee. On a church document she wrote that her marriage was annulled and that Guamies name was Phyllis Elaine Young.

Thank goodness for technology & DNA, I was able to narrow down Guamie's Dad's side of the family. I am pretty sure I know who the gentleman is. He did live in Colorado but he worked for Oil companies, so he traveled a lot. He didn't die until 1956 in Venezuela of a Heart attack. I am going to reach out to cousins I have found via DNA to see if they know anything. I will share what I found out with you

Take Care,

Michelle