13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2022 11:07 AM by Steve Granek

Seeking immigration records for Rose & Annie Alpert

Steve Granek Wayfarer

I am searching for the immigration information for my grandmother, Rose (Rosa) Alpert. Married name Rose Brownstein.  According to her Husband's (Jacob Brownstein) Naturlization petition, she entered the county in 1908 via New York, New York and was born in Niveravitsk, Russia (no such place - likely a poor interpretation by the typing clerk of what he said... working on that mystery separately).    The 1930 Census shows the same date of immigration.  The same Census says she came from Grodno, Russia,.  She was not naturalized as far as I can tell and she appears not to have had a social securiity number.  She also died before my Grandfather and as such would not have filed for survivor benefits on his SS.  They lived in Baltimore, Maryland.  Per my mother, Rose's sister was named Annie Goldberg (nee Alpert) and married Sam Goldberg in Baltimore in 1900.  I've tried to triangulate on Rose's information (immigration details and birthplace) via Annie with no luck to date.  I cannot find Annie Alpert's immigration information either.

I have searched Ancestry, MyHeritage, FamilySearch, Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty.  I have done very wide searches on name variations (Alper, Galpern/Halpern,, Alperowitz - Rose etc.  I have struck out so far.  Perhaps the records exist but have not been digitized on one of those platforms???  I do know she got here somehow!  Any help of ideas area appreciated.  Thank you in advance

• Re: Seeking immigration records for Rose & Annie Alpert
          Tamie Dehler Adventurer

Steve,

I don't know if this will help, but the town of and province of Grodno was first in Lithuania, then in Russia, and later in Poland.  It was located within the of the Pale of Settlement.  The Pale of Settlement was was a territory within the borders of czarist Russia where the residence of Jews was legally authorized and controlled.  Their activities, occupations, movements, travels, etc. were strictly defined. 

Here is a web site that talks about the Pale and mentions Grodno a number of times.  It also has a map of the Pale, showing the province of Grodno.

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/the-pale-of-settlement

Here is also a detailed map of the province of Grodno (also showing the town of Grodno).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/Grodno_governorate.jpg

It's possible that the town of "Niveravitsk" (I agree that the spelling is corrupted) was in the province of Grodno.

There a number of genealogy and Jewish websites dedicated to the families and towns that were located in the Pale of Settlement.  Maybe you could find more information if you turned your attention to these.

I'm not sure if you will find her immigration information separate from her husband, because alien women who were married to aliens (whether the man was naturalized or not) were not allowed to become citizens at that time.  Naturalization allowed a person to vote and women couldn't vote then so it was not considered an issue.  However, she could have applied for later naturalization after women got the right to vote in 1920 and the law changed:

"Happily, Congress was at work and on September 22, 1922, passed the Married Women's Act, also known as the Cable Act.  This 1922 law finally gave each woman a nationality of her own... Under the new law women became eligible to naturalize on (almost) the same terms as men.  The only difference concerned those women whose husbands had already naturalized.  If her husband was a citizen, the wife did not need to file a declaration of intention.  She could initiate naturalization proceedings with a petition alone (one-paper naturalization).  A woman whose husband remained an alien had to start at the beginning, with a declaration of intention.  It is important to note that women who lost citizenship by marriage and regained it under Cable Act naturalization provisions could file in any naturalization court—regardless of her residence."

from this site:  https://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/1998/summer/women-and-naturalization-1.html

Steve Granek Wayfarer

Thank you Tamie - I apologize for the delay in responding. I was having password trouble.  Most of your generous suggestions - I've been down those paths. Your points about Naturalization and the Married Woman's Act were very interesting.  My grandfather became a citizen in 1939 (finally). I've found no evidence that my Grandmother ever did.

As you can see - someone in the next answer did find a manifest that appears to shed some light. Thank you again

Steve Granek Wayfarer

One other thing - you included a link to a map of the Grodno Governate. Northwest of the border on that map (in the upper right hand corner) there is a place name that I read as "Narvelichki".  I find it no where in the Jewishgen Gazetteer or town search. I find a single Google entry that simply refers to it as "bourg. Russ." - with no other information.  IF I squint (or imagine my Grandfather telling (in an accent) an American clerk the name - I can imagine something like Narvelichki turning into 'Niveravitsk'.

Does anyone know this place - a more modern name or??? Thank you

Susannah Brooks Ranger

Looking at the 1910 census for Samuel and Annie Goldberg, it states that Annie arrived in 1898.  Listed after their children is a Rose Goldberg, age 22 niece, that I think might be Rose Alpert. 1910 United States Federal Census - Ancestry.com   It states she arrived in 1899.  I could not find Rose's arrival for any time period prior to her marriage, but may have found Annie's.  It is a long shot, but might be worth pursuing.  Chane Alpert arrived in NY on 31 Mar 1898 on the SS Friedrich der Grosse.  She was headed to her father Ruben Alpert in Baltimore.  Ruben lived at 20?5 Wilkens Ave.  Looking at some city directories about 1899-1903 there was a Ruben Alpert (some records list him as Ruben Albert) at 2095 Wilkens Ave.  Ruben is living with Bettie Alpert, who is probably his second wife, and by 1910 has a son, Max.

Ancestry.com - New York, U.S., Arriving Passenger and Crew Lists (including Castle Garden and Ellis Island), 1820-1957

I cannot read Hebrew, but Rose's father's Hebrew given name is probably on her tombstone.

Steve Granek Wayfarer

Susannah - Consider this a virtual kiss!  Chane!!!  For some reason, with all my searching on Annie (broadly) I never saw this Chane Alpert.  It is 99% surely my Great Aunt as Ruben was, in fact the other sibling. The address in Baltimore rings true as well.  Most of all - what seems to be Piloki or Pilski as a place.  Sadly - at least so far, I've been unable to make any sense of that place.  I welcome ideas!! (I've been all over the JewishGen gazetteer and other seemingly logical place. But I'll do some posting - someone will give me an aha. This was incredibly useful. Thank you.

His name was apparently Nachum per her tombstone.  I have a photo of that and have seen the actual many times.

Once again - thank you.

Elliot Schneider Guide

Steve,

Here is what I found in the Index for Petitions. Can you verify any of these Rose Alpert

Also found two separate files for a Rose Alpert here are the dates within those files. Maybe you can tell by her DOB in those files?

The following is some of the information contained in the alien case file: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/40131357

Date of Birth: 6/16/1899

Date of Entry: 10/25/1922

Port of Entry: Unknown POE

Country of Birth: Russia

The following is some of the information contained in the alien case file: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/40152270

Date of Birth: 8/20/1876

Date of Entry: 6/1/1906

Port of Entry: New York, NY (IA)

Country of Birth: Russia

1 person found this helpful
                      Lisha Penn Ranger

Dear Mr. Granek,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 6/16/1897 - 7/3/1957 (T715) in the Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service (Record Group 85) that may include the lists of SS Kroonland for May 1, 1909 with a Rose Alpert as a passenger. For information about the non-digitized records, please email the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.

We also located the Population Schedules for the 1910 Census, the Population Schedules for the 1920 Census, the Population Schedules for the 1930 Census, and  the Population Schedules for the 1940 Census in the Records of the Bureau of the Census (Record Group 29) that may contain information about Rose (Alpert) Brownstein living with her husband Jacob and children in Baltimore, MD. The 1940 Census  indicates her citizenship status as naturalized. The 1940 Census schedules are digitized and available using the Catalog. For more information about the non-digitized schedules, please contact RDT1. 

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

You may wish to search Ancestry or FamilySearch for the U.S. Census. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, please check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.

Prior to 1922, all women who were not U.S. citizens acquired their husband's nationality upon marriage. Therefore, if her husband was naturalized before they were married, Rose would have become a citizen upon marriage. See Prologue article titled “Any woman who is now or may hereafter be married . . .” - Women and Naturalization, ca. 1802–1940 for more information.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful
                          Steve Granek Wayfarer

Lisha - This was very helpful, thank you.   Perhaps a breakthrough. I have written to the archive per your suggestion in hopes to get some detail about the non-digitized SS Kroonland manifest.

I have most of those census documents.  The place of origin information is maddening.  Most say "Russia... might as well say "Earth!"  One  (1920) says Grodno, but then again, Jacobs 1939 Naturlization paper work says Niveravistsk.  Thus my interest in any other documents like the manifest and any naturalization papers for Rose.

As to Rose's naturalization.... if I am interpreting what you are saying above correctly.... Jacob was naturalized in 1939. It's not until the 1940 Census that there is any indication that Rose was naturalized.  So - that would lead me to believe it was either before or after his citizenship - or perhaps around the same time.