3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2022 12:34 PM by Donald Hall

Seeking what "Dem" means on discharge

Sherry Kimbrough Newbie

I have a WWI Veteran's application to State Soldier's Home that states his discharge was on July 1919 and listed as "Dem." What type of discharge is this? thanks in advance.

• Re: Seeking what "Dem" means on discharge
          Elliot Schneider Guide

Sherry,

It stands for Demobilization (DEM). Its not a type of discharge it was a period when soldiers returned home from war and had to go through a demobilization period. Which is still done today.

3 people found this helpful
              • Re: Seeking what "Dem" means on discharge
                Donald Hall Adventurer

During World War I, the Army greatly expanded from what was a small Regular Army and National Guard to a large "National Army."  At the end of the war, units of the National Army were demobilized.  If the individual in question was in the National Guard, then yes, it was just a change in status, as Elliot has said.  But since there really wasn't an Army Reserve as we know it today, if they were in a National Army unit, then they were likely discharged at teh time they were demobilized, as demobilization was used differently in World War I than it is today.

According to the Army's Center of Military History: "Demobilize. To remove the designation of a unit from the official rolls of the Army. If the unit is active, it must also be inactivated. This term is used in unit lineages only when referring to the period during and immediately after World War I." Organizational History - U.S. Army Center of Military History

I hope that provides just a little more context.  Today, we use the terms mobilize and demobilize, but generally we're referring to units and individuals being ordered to active duty or being released from active duty as part of a mobilization--although the jargon will say that the individual or unit is mobilized or demobilized.

1 person found this helpful