1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 14, 2022 7:53 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking Distinguished Flying Cross of Burton I Rogers

    Jim Flynn Newbie

      Hi Jim Flynn here, I am Looking for information on my Maternal Grandfathers DFC , He (Burton I Rogers  Army Ser # 0 926 917) Served in the 498th Bombardment Group 874th Bomb Squadron in Saipan as a Bomb Nav 1036 from Oct 44 to July 45 and completed 32 missions against the enemy during this time.  I have his medals, separation papers, and a certificate of participation for all his bombing missions with dates, geographical location, combat hours each flight, and remarks signed and confirmed by Walter F Todd Lt. Col. Air Corps Operations Officer. What my family cannot seem to find is any record of him on any website database of his existence or his medals in reference to WWII, its as if he never existed.  If something should happen to the only physical existence of this information I don't know that anyone would ever know he existed. Is there any way to get more information on his Distinguished Flying Cross ?  or anything more than what I have and have him added to history or whatever databases exist?


      Burton Rogers

        • Re: Seeking Distinguished Flying Cross of Burton I Rogers
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Mr. Flynn,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Award Cards, 1942-1963 for the U.S. Army Air Force/Air Force that includes a Distinguished Flying Cross card for Burton I. Rogers (see image 995), two Air Medal Decoration cards for Burton I. Rogers (see images 341-342), and one Unit Award card for the 874th Bomb Squadron (see image 517). These records are digitized and available online using the Catalog. For the location of the War Department general orders cited on the 874th BS card, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          RDT2 also has custody of microfilm copies of operational records relating to U.S. Army Air Force units. We searched the Air Force History index to the microfilm and located 18 files related to the 498th Bombardment Group from October 1944 - July 1945 and 2 files related to the 874th Bombardment Squadron for October 1944 - July 1945. We also located the general orders of the 20th Air Force for 1945. Please read the brief Abstract to determine which records you are interested in and click on the specific PDF icon. In the PDF listing, the IRISREF is the microfilm reel number and note the FRAME and FRAMELST numbers for the location on the reel. If the reel number begins with A, B or C, please contact RDT2 via email at archives2reference@nara.gov for more information about them.


          If the reel number begins with D - Z, the microfilm is still security classified and RDT2 will not be able to make the reel available to you. The original paper copy from which the film was created is still in the custody of the Air Force Historical Research Agency (AFHRA) and has been declassified. To obtain copies of these records, please follow the instructions on this page. If there is no IRISREF information, only AFHRA has the records.


          Plus, we located the series Photographs of Activities, Facilities, and Personnel, ca. 1940 - ca. 1983 in the Records of U.S. Air Force Commands, Activities, and Organizations (Record Group 342) that includes 7 images of the 498th Bomb Group that may be of interest to you. These photographs have been digitized and may be viewed in the Catalog.


          From the information you shared in your request, it seems that you already have a copy of your grandfather’s service records. But if you do not, then you may wish to request a copy of his complete Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men and officers of the U.S. Army Air Force who were separated from the service before 1947 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          In addition, morning reports for Army Air Force units (from November 1, 1912 to August 1947) are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For more information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov


          Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RL-SL.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.  Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          For general orders for the XXI Bomber Command, we suggest you contact the Air Force Historical Research Agency, 600 Chennault Circle, Building 1405, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL  36112-6424.


          Finally, many organizations have sponsored veterans history projects, and they frequently accept information about individual veterans from the general public. You may wish to contact the World War II Memorial (US National Park Service), the Friends of the National World War II Memorial, the National WWII Museum, the Veterans History Project (Library of Congress), or the US Army Aviation Museum for further assistance. We also suggest that you contact historical societies, universities, and veterans organizations in your area to learn more about local veterans history projects.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!