1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 11, 2022 11:07 AM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking WWI Registration Card for Stephen M Bartles

Evan Nance Adventurer

Hi I am looking for a registration card for someone named Born June 20th 1881. I don't know if you need this but I was looking for my family ancestor and I found this:

Registration Location: Kings County, New York; Roll:1754134; Draft Board:23. Ancestry.com. World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 . Provo, UT Original data: United States, Selective Service System. World War I Selective Service System Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918. Washington, D.C. National Archives and Records Administration. M1509, 4,582 rolls. Stephen Bartels City: Brooklyn County: Kings, State: New York Birth Date: 20 Jun 1881 Race: White Roll:1754134 Draft Board: 23

If you could help me that would be most appreciative. He was apparently institutionalized for being insane, I am trying to find out why. Thanks

• Re: Seeking WWI Registration Card for Stephen M Bartles
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Nance,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series titled Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 in the Records of the Selective Service System (World War I) (Record Group 163) that include a card for Stephen Bartels. See document below. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Atlanta (RE-AT) via email at atlanta.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from [NARA Unit].  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research.

1 person found this helpful