2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2022 2:34 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking Civil War records for Charles Whitney

Christopher Marken Newbie

I am seeking Civil War era records (both military and civil) for Charles H. Whitney. He was a private in Company A of the First Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry.  He was wounded at Second Bull Run and transferred to the Veteran Reserve Corps (Invalid Corps).  He was promoted to captain of Company D of the 37th United States Colored Infantry (originally the 3rd North Carolina Colored Infantry - part of Edward A. Wild's “African Brigade”).

I know both Whitney and Wild were from Brookline, MA and Wild was Whitney's company captain in the 1st Massachusetts. I would love to find any information on Whitney regarding his medical/hospital records, V.R.C. company duties and assignments, the recruitment of white officers into the USCT. I am also looking for any civil records or records relating to the recruitment of Colored soldiers into 3rd NC/37th USCT. My understanding is many of the men in the 37th USCT were recruited and not volunteers. Whitney also fathered a child (who would have been conceived around the time the 37th was formed) with a free woman of color in Virginia. I do not know if there are any civilian records or something through the Freedmen's Bureau. The mother's family surname was Banks and she may have had family members in the 37th. Any information would be greatly appreciated.