1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 13, 2022 11:11 AM by Jason Atkinson Branched from an earlier discussion.

    Seeking grandfather's prison records

    Miranda Murphy Newbie

      My grandfather who passed away in 2000 was in prison at some point in the late 50s and early 60s. We're thinking specifically between 1958-1961 in Tennessee. Our family is from Oneida but I'm not positive if that's the area he was arrested or convicted in. Our family is very hush about why he was in prison and my mom asked me to see if I could find out online. I'm able to provide some personal information about him, as I said, he's deceased.

        • Re: Seeking grandfather's prison records
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Ms. Murphy,

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The National Archives at Kansas City (RM-KC) has a copy of the Bureau of Prisons microfilm publication entitled "Index to Released Federal Prisoners, 1911-1974" that may have information about him if he was held in a federal prison. For more information, please contact RM-KC at kansascity.archives@nara.gov.


          Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RM-KC.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.


          The vast majority of prisoners are held in state prisons.  We suggest that you also contact the Tennessee Department of Corrections Records Management via email at BI.tdocrmdrequests-archive@tn.gov.


          Additionally, you may wish to check online newspaper databases such as Chronicling America and local libraries for back issues of newspapers to look for news articles regarding his case.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!