5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2022 9:28 AM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking military records for Jewell Merritt

    Bill Kimbro Newbie

      Seeking records for Jewell Lee Merritt (b.1921) for when he was stationed at Fort Des Moines, Iowa in 1940 while in the Army. Thank you

        • Re: Seeking military records for Jewell Merritt
          Elliot Schneider Guide



          Here is some information.


          1940s Census Shows him living on base at Fort Lewis, Pierce, Washington



          Name:Jeweill Meritt
          Estimated Birth Year:abt 1922
          Marital Status:Single
          Home in 1940:Fort Lewis, Pierce, Washington
          Map of Home in 1940:
          Street:Camp Jackson South Carolina
          Inferred Residence in 1935:Rural, White, Illinois
          Residence in 1935:Rural, White, Illinois
          Resident on farm in 1935:No
          Sheet Number:32B
          Institution:Fort Lewis
          Occupation:E M
          Industry:U S Army
          Attended School or College:No
          Highest Grade Completed:High School, 3rd year
          Class of Worker:Wage or salary worker in Government work
          Weeks Worked in 1939:40
          Income Other Sources:No




          Name:Jewell L Merritt
          Birth Date:22 Oct 1921
          Death Date:31 Jan 2007
          Cause of Death:Natural
          Enlistment Branch:ARMY
          Enlistment Date:25 Oct 1939
          Discharge Date:8 Apr 1946
          • Re: Seeking military records for Jewell Merritt
            Lisha Penn Ranger

            Dear Mr. Kimbro,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!