3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2022 1:11 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking military photo of Earnest Holliday, Jr

    Aaron Holliday Newbie

      I am in search of a possible personal military photo of my great-grandfather who served WWII. He died in 1959 at age 37 in Tarrant TX and was initially handled by Hugh Moore Sons Funeral Home in Arlington TX, but was later transferred & buried at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery in Lemay St. Louis MO.  His name was Earnest Holliday Jr.(7/27/1921-7/18/1959)(aged 37). He enlisted Oct. 31, 1942 & served in WWII as a Sgt. Field Artillery & was later discharged after the end of WWII, discharged on December 13, 1945.  Any possible advice on if/how to possibly look to somehow perhaps gain any sort of old military photo such as like an enlistment photo perhaps, etc., any help of advice would be most appreciated?

        • Re: Seeking military photo of Earnest Holliday, Jr
          Elliot Schneider Guide



          Unfortunately, army military photos were not kept in a soldiers personnel file they were not considered permanent records.


          Here is a interment form below that also shows his unit information.


          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking military photo of Earnest Holliday, Jr
            Jason Atkinson Guide

            Dear Mr. Holliday,

            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            The "official" photograph of an individual is not considered to be permanent federal records by the respective military services and is not retained in a separate collection by the service. If the photograph you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in the individual's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). However, there is no guarantee the photograph will be present.


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Photographic Albums of Prints of Hampton Roads Port of Embarkation, 9/1942 - 12/1945 in the Records of the Office of the Chief of Transportation (Record Group 336) that includes the digitized photograph Troops Undergoing Gas Demonstration depicting some soldiers of the 79th Field Artillery Battalion. However, the caption provided by the Army does not list names, and the faces are all obscured by gas masks.  There may be additional pictures of some soldiers from this unit which have not yet been digitized. For more information about non-digitized photographs, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS) at stillpix@nara.gov.


            Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.  Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!