1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 12, 2022 10:11 AM by Lisha Penn

    How to verify a person's prior civilian federal service?

    Lissette Arroyo-Ortiz Newbie

      How does an employer verify a person's prior civilian federal service from 1998-2007?

        • Re: How to verify a person's prior civilian federal service?
          Lisha Penn Ranger

          Dear Ms. Arroyo-Ortiz,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Usually a SF-50 of the individual is provided during the application process.


          If you or a family member is trying to prove prior civilian federal service, we suggest that you request a copy of his/her Official Personnel File (OPF). OPFs and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity since 1952 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center Annex. Written requests may be mailed or faxed to National Personnel Records Center Annex, 1411 Boulder Boulevard, Valmeyer, IL 62295. The fax number is 618-935-3014. Please include the full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of the employing Federal agency, and beginning and ending dates of Federal service. Certain information in the OPF may not be available to the general public without the written consent of the individual. For more information, please check the Official Personnel Folders (OPF),Federal (non-archival) Holdings and Access website.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Civilian Personnel Records Center (CPR) in Valmeyer, IL still will maintain minimal staffing levels to support emergency reference requests only. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful.