10 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2018 1:22 PM by Dave Kerr

Where would i look for a military award citation?

Wayfarer

My uncle was an infantryman during WWII and was awarded a Bronze Star medal as well as a Purple Heart when he was injured.

Where would I start to look for the citation that would list the reason for the Bronze Star Medal?

His name is Gerard Alphonse Sevigny.  He was a Private First Class with Company B, 398th Infantry Regiment of the 100th Infantry Division.

He was injured January 3, 1945 in France.  He was awarded the Combat Infantry Badge, Bronze Star Medal and a Purple Heart Medal for this injury.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Stephen

• Re: Where would i look for a military award citation?
          Ann Abney Scout

Hi Stephen -

Within this series, World War II Operations Reports, there are a few boxes that might contain what you're looking for. Some of these contain general orders which might have a brief description of the incident which earned him the Bronze Star. After Action reports also might contain information on the injury that earned him the Purple Heart. You'll need to look both for immediately following the incident, and for several months after - it will depend on when the award was given.

Boxes 11674-11765, 11678, and 11735 all contain records on the 100th Infantry Division. For more information on the filing scheme and these records, you can contact Archives2Reference@archives.gov at the National Archives at College Park, MD.

Best of luck!

5 of 5 people found this helpful
            Wayfarer

Ann,

Would that email address be correct?  I tried to send a email and it was returned twice.  Just sent a third time.  It could be a typo on my end as well, but just checking.  thanks!

Ann Abney Scout

Hi Stephen -

On my end it doesn't look like a typo, but I'm going to copy it again here, just in case. Maybe copy and paste it into your email "To" field so no chance of typos? Archives2reference@nara.gov

Wayfarer

Hello Stephen,

My father served with Company A, 398th Infantry, 100th Infantry Division in World War II. I have some information related to the 100th Infantry Division (websites, facebook groups, etc) that may be helpful in your research. Feel free to contact me at my personal email address for more details. Or I will post that information here if you prefer.

Also, FYI, I sent a research request to Archives2Reference@archives.gov about three weeks ago. I did not receive any confirmation of receipt, but I did not receive a "failure to deliver" message either, so I presume that my message was received. I visited the National Archives personally last week (I live in Washington DC) and asked about the process for receiving replies to research requests. I was told that one should expect a reply within ten (10) days of the Archives receipt and review of the email, but it was not clear to me when exactly the 10-day clock begins. It sounded to me that when the clock starts can depend on several factors, including the complexity of the question and how many other questions the staff is reviewing. My suggestion to NARA is that they create an "automatic reply" message to research requests sent to Archives2Reference@archives.gov that confirms receipt of a research request email message and also explains the process and timetable for review and response to the request by NARA staff.

Wayfarer

Thank you for the offer Stephen, I'll send you an email privately for that additional info you may have.

I did get a response from the NARA about this request.  In a nutshell, they could not research the request if they do not know the Unit that issued the award, the General Order number or the G.O.  date.  But please stop by the NARA in College Park, MD and search for yourself or hire someone.   So, a dead end I guess.