4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2022 4:08 PM by Elliot Schneider

    Seeking military health records for Cuba Tomshack

    Leilani Tomshack Livermore Newbie

      My father was stationed at Pearl Harbor and was a cook.  He was injured by shrapnel hitting his legs.  He was in the Army.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you

        • Re: Seeking military health records for Cuba Tomshack
          Lisha Penn Ranger

          Dear Ms. Livermore,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) and his medical records. OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          • Re: Seeking military health records for Cuba Tomshack
            Elliot Schneider Guide



            Here is some information. Information from local newspaper middle towards the bottom. Column reads "Arrives in Hawaii"




            Cuba Tomshack





            Name:Cuba Tomshack
            Birth Date:9 Sep 1923
            Death Date:11 Oct 1975
            Enlistment Branch:ARMY
            Enlistment Date:1 Jul 1940
            Discharge Date:17 Aug 1945
            Enlistment Date 1:2 Nov 1949
            Discharge Date 1:11 Apr 1952



            Name:Cuba Tomshack
            Marital status:Single, without dependents (Single)
            Birth Year:1921
            Nativity State or Country:West Virginia
            Education:2 years of high school
            Enlistment Date:1 Jul 1940
            Enlistment Place:Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
            Service Number:13009031
            Branch:Coast Artillery Corps or Army Mine Planter Service
            Component:Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
            Source:Civil Life
            2 people found this helpful