4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2022 3:39 PM by Roberta Laird

Seeking Individual Deceased Personnel File for John Laird

Roberta Laird Wayfarer

I requested an Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF) for my great-uncle, John Laird, who died of wounds received in action in WWI. He died on 29 July 1918 near Soissons, France. His service number was 50792. I mailed this request on 7 May 2021 to the Department of the Army, Attn: AHRC_FOIA, in Fort Knox, Ky. I have not received a reply. I would welcome suggestions on how to obtain this file. Thank you.

• Re: Seeking Individual Deceased Personnel File for John Laird
          Elliot Schneider Guide

Roberta,

Here is where you should have requested the information. When you contact the following and let them know you filed a FOIA Request, if this occurred you should have received a tracking number or case number they may ask for it.

For the IDPFs of personnel with surnames that begin with M-Z, please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405. They are being scanned by the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency in order to properly identify remains of those still listed as missing.

In order to request those records please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405.

Secondly, Contact the following as well

Contact Us

Past Conflict Repatriations Branch
          Contact via Email

army.hrc.pastconflicts@mail.mil

Phone Number:
          1-800-892-2490

DSN Phone Number:
          983-9500

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking Individual Deceased Personnel File for John Laird
            Rachael Salyer Ranger

Dear Ms. Laird,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Since he died during World War 1 and NOT World War 2, the information you seek may be contained in your great uncle’s Army burial case file (precursor to the IDPFs). Burial case files for 1915 to 1939 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For more information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful