2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2022 7:22 PM by susan allen

    Seeking Navy service records for Charles L Allen

    susan allen Newbie

      Navy service records for Charles L Allen during 2/64-1/68.  He was on the USS Coral Sea (CVA 43). See other request How do I find out who was on board the USS Coral Sea?  I seem to run in circles and get nowhere. I requested the OMPF through VA form 180  and am told records don't exist. Yet  he received veteran benefits, hospitalization and has a DD-214.  He died in October and didn't talk about his service.  None of the family really has any real idea of his service. I'm so frustrated.  Searching records shows where the ship was and who was absent and when the sun came up, but no records of who was on board.

        • Re: Seeking Navy service records for Charles L Allen
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Ms. Allen,

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Which agency did you contact to request his OMPF? If you contacted the Department of Veteran Affairs or the Department of the Navy, they most likely would not have his service records, based on the dates of service that you provided.


          Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and medical records of enlisted men and officers of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1958 and before January 31, 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. If you already have a copy of his DD-214, it should provide all the information necessary to request the records, including his service number, the date he entered service, and the date he was released from service. If you do not have this information, you may still submit a request, however the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file.  Also, since you are researching his entire service history and medical records, we suggest that you specify that you are requesting his entire file in the spaces provided to check which records you are requesting. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience


          We hope this is helpful.