1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 7, 2022 11:53 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking Army Signal Corps photo of Lt Cyril B Spicer

    Steve Spicer Wayfarer

      I have a newspaper picture (poor) of Gen. Hobbes pinning a Bronze Star on my cousin on Feb 16, 1945. I'm wondering if that picture is in the Archives and where it might be.


      Gen Hobbs pinning medal on Lt. Cyril Spicer (newspaper photo)

        • Re: Seeking Army Signal Corps photo of Lt Cyril B Spicer
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Mr. Spicer,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Index to Personalities in the US Army Signal Corps Photographic Files in the Records of the Office of the Chief Signal Officer (Record Group 111) that contains multiple references to Leland S. Hobbs (beginning on image 163) that may include the photograph you are seeking. The index has been digitized and may be viewed online using the Catalog. The photographs themselves have not been digitized. For assistance with these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS) at stillpix@nara.gov. Please include as much information as possible in your inquiry, such as full name(s), dates of interest, branch of military service, unit number(s), and so on.


          We also suggest that you request a copy of your cousin’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.  Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Finally, we suggest that you contact the newspaper, Journal-Patriot, directly to check if they have a copy of the photograph in their archives.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!