1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 4, 2022 1:15 PM by National Archives Catalog

How to download all pages of a Civil War pension file?

Dan Gediman Newbie

Folks, I am working with a team of researchers that are researching the lives of African American Civil War soldiers from Kentucky. Through the help of others on History Hub, I was able to find on archives.gov about over 50 pension files for either soldiers, widows, mothers, and/or minor children of soldiers. The problem is that in most cases, each page in the file is only downloadable as a single PDF file, rather than being able to download a multi-page PDF file. Some of these pension files are enormous, in the hundreds of pages. Somewhere in the past, I heard that it was possible to do this using Python, but I can't find reference to that anywhere. I have a feeling this is a frequently asked question, but I couldn't any such document on Archives.gov that answered this question. Thanks for any help any of your can offer regarding this question. If anyone is interested in learning more about our project, or perhaps might like to become one of our volunteer researchers, you can visit our website at reckoningradio.org/ky-usct-project.