4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2022 11:46 AM by Susan Hines

Seeking information about John Hodson

Susan Hines Wayfarer

My ancestor John William Hodson was captured at Cedar Creek (VA) in October of 1864. A civilian, aged 15 or 16, he was imprisoned on the charge "Dangerous Character." I see he was transferred to Harpers Ferry in November, and died in the "post hospital" in February of 1865.  I find references, to J W Hodson in the Union Provost Marshals' File Of Paper Relating To Individual Civilians but these seem to be stubs and I cannot track them down. Can you help? The family does not know where he is buried or if the family, who lived in Frederick Co. VA, was informed of his death and allowed to collect the body. What does "dangerous character" mean?

• Re: Seeking information about John Hodson
          Elliot Schneider Guide

Susan,

I also did note that the closeness in last name variations they may have used Hudson as well. That maybe why you have not found anything either. Remember people in those days were for the most part illiterate and could not read. So it may have been easier to write Hudson then Hodson.

Here is a picture I found of a John W. Hodson born 1847-1865 but from New York

Loss of Constitution

John W. Hudson

Do you have any additional information perhaps where he was born and if he was married? I did find this please follow the link. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/15383913/william-hadson

Here is another John Hodson without the middle initial

Name:John Hodson
          Death Date:6 Aug 1864
          Interment Date:6 Aug 1864
          Interment Place:Virginia, USA
          Cemetery Address:Cemetery Road At Marshall Avenue Hampton , VA 23669
          Cemetery:Hampton National Cemetery
          Plot:Section B Site 4675
          Notes:Us Army
              Susan Hines Wayfarer

Thank you for your efforts Elliot. I think it highly unlikely that the suggested individuals are the John W. Hodson I seek. You are certainly correct that Hodson becomes Hudson as well as Hodgson, and etc. Good point. I was probably a little unclear. Family lore says that after John W Hodson's father's death (Charles William Hodson 1825-1863), John ran off to join the army, never returned and was presumed dead. However, in the Prisoner of War Records, I found this record of his capture as a civilian at Cedar Creek on October 10, 1864. The record further states "confined here" with a date of Nov. 8, 1864 (I believe the "here" is Harpers Ferry based on the remarks) and under the  "Release" column the statement, "Died he did." The remarks say he died in the "Post Hospital" on Feb. 27, 1865.

Then I checked on Family Search United States Union Provost Marshal Files of Individual Civilians, 1861-1866

and found two references to Hodson, John W. and Hodson, J.W. I realize they may not be the same person. I want to know what further documents these two two files reference. Of course, one may be the record above. But I if additional records exist, I want to get to them.

MANY THANKS

Jason Atkinson Guide

Dear Ms. Hines,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Papers Relating to Citizens, 1861 - 1867 and Confederate Manuscripts (documenting 1861-1865) in the War Department Collection of Confederate Records (Record Group 109). We also located Reports of the Death and Internment of Civilians, 1862 - 1866 and Field Records of Hospitals, 1821 - 1912 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94). These records may have some information about J W Hodson. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

We can not be certain what “dangerous character” may have meant in this context, however during the Civil War, Federal military authorities were given broad powers to detain suspicious individuals whom they deemed as being potentially acting against their interests.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!