1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 6, 2022 1:29 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking military information about my father, 1979-1982

    Michelle Chase Newbie

      I'm seeking information on my father who was in the security force at DMAFB from 1979-1982. He is now deceased and I want to also get his military record but I don't have a rank or social security number. If anyone knows anything about him that I can use or even just so I can learn what to research after he left here in Tucson AZ. I'm still located in Tucson and I was born at Davis Monthan hospital in 1980

        • Re: Seeking military information about my father, 1979-1982
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Ms. Chase,

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Air Force after 1958 and before May 1, 1994 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file. The SF 180 does not require you to provide his rank.  You also may submit it without the social security number, however it would be helpful to have that information. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Depending on when he died, it may be possible to look up his social security number using the database Numerical Identification Files (NUMIDENT), created, 1936 - 2007, documenting the period 1936 - 2007 - Record Group 47 available though the Access to Archival Databases (AAD).


          Additionally, Ancestry provides the U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014 and the U.S.  Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010 databases that include the social security numbers of many deceased individuals. There may be a fee for using this service. Instead, please check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.


          Another option is to search for his death certificate, as these frequently include social security numbers. If you do not have his death certificate on file, we suggest requesting one from the applicable state vital records office. See the CDC page Where to Write for Vital Records for a directory of state vital records offices.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!