1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 5, 2022 11:58 AM by Josette Schluter

Certified Copy of Petition for Naturalization in Ohio

David Saggio Newbie

I am in urgent need of a legible, certified copy of the "Petition for Naturalization" for my grandfather. This is needed by the Italian Consulate - Boston to process my application for citizenship. I have previously inquired with the National Archives, USCIS, NARA offices in Chicago and Dayton. USCIS forwarded an illegible and redacted copy of my grandfather's Petition that the Consulate has rejected because key information is blurred and blocked out (children's name, addresses, etc.). Without this document my application will not be approved. Any help is much appreciated. His information is as follows: Name: Giuseppe Saggio; Naturalization Court: U.S. District Court, Steubenville, Ohio; Naturalization Date: September 6, 1938; File Series: C-File; and File Number: C4459365.

• Re: Certified Copy of Petition for Naturalization in Ohio
          Josette Schluter Tracker

Dear Mr. Saggio,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

In general, naturalization was a two-step process that took a minimum of five years. After residing in the United States for two years, an alien could file a "declaration of intention" ("first papers") to become a citizen. After three additional years, the alien could "petition for naturalization" (”second papers”). After the petition was granted, a certificate of citizenship was issued to the alien. These two steps did not have to take place in the same court.

For naturalizations that took place in a Federal court, the naturalization indexes, declarations of intention (with any accompanying certificates of arrival), and petitions for naturalization will usually be in the National Archives facility serving the state in which the Federal court is located. For records of the U.S. District Court for Ohio, you will need to contact the National Archives at Chicago (RM-CH) at chicago.archives@nara.gov. No central index exists. To ensure a successful request with the National Archives, researchers should include: the name of petitioner (including known variants); date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin. If RM-CH does NOT have the petition, then the USCIS has the only copy in Federal custody.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RM-CH.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!