3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2022 12:52 PM by Jason Atkinson

Where are the records of St. Elizabeth in Washington, DC 1950's & 1960's

Nellie A Fedee Newbie

My grandmother spent time at St. Elizabeth's hospital in Washington, DC and gave birth to a son there in the 1950's. I am looking for medical records and any pictures that may be available of my grandmother. Any information provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thank, you,

Nellie Fedee

• Re: Where are the records of St. Elizabeth in Washington, DC 1950's & 1960's
          Jason Atkinson Guide

Dear Ms. Fedee,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Case Files of Patients, 1855 - ca. 1950 and the Registers of Cases, 1855 - 1963 in the Records of St. Elizabeths Hospital (Record Group 418) that may include a record of your grandmother. The Register has been digitized and is available for viewing using the Catalog. Please search it for your grandmother’s name to locate a case number. Please provide that information to the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov to determine if there is a case file for her. Please note that after 1900, the hospital only maintained a sampling of case files in 5 year increments (1905, 1910, 1915, etc.).

We also located 7 photographic record series in Record Group 418 that include photographs from the 1950s and 1960s. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS) at stillpix@nara.gov.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1 and RDSS.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!