1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 6, 2022 10:10 AM by Rachael Salyer

    How do I find pictures taken by Homer L. Vincent in WWII?

    Jodi Januck Newbie

      My grandfather was a photographer during WWII and I am looking for some of the pictures taken by him. His name was Homer L. Vincent.

        • Re: How do I find pictures taken by Homer L. Vincent in WWII?
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Ms. Januck,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If your grandfather worked as a photographer while serving in the military during World War II, then the photographs he took would most likely be found by subject or unit number and not under his own name. Photographs of various U.S. Army/Army Air Corps activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov, and be sure to include as much information as possible in your inquiry, such as full name, branch of service, unit number, and dates and locations of interest.


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) to learn which unit(s) he served with. OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          We searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the World War II Army Enlistment Records database that includes one file related to Homer L. Vincent. If you believe this individual to be your grandfather, please use the information in this file when requesting a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).


          We also located the AAD database Records of World War II Prisoners of War, 12/7/1941 - 11/19/1946 in the Records of the Office of the Provost Marshal General (Record Group 389) that includes a file for a Homer L. Vincent of the Army Air Corps who died as a Prisoner of War, and we located the AAD database World War II Prisoners of the Japanese Data Files for a Homer L. Vincent that lists his unit as the V Bomber Command, 19th Bombardment Group (Heavy), 14th Bombardment Squadron. Please note that we cannot confirm whether or not these individuals are the same Homer L. Vincent you are researching.


          Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.  Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Next, we located the series Name Index to the Series Missing Air Crew Reports (MACRs), 1942-1947 in the Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General (Record Group 92) that includes one MACR index card for Homer L. Vincent (see image 91) but does not include a MACR number. The index relates to the series Missing Air Crew Reports (MACRs), 1942-1947 in Record Group 92.


          Plus, we located the Award Cards, 1942 - 1963 for the U.S. Army Air Force/Air Force that includes three cards for Homer L. Vincent (see Images 384-386). These records have been digitized and are available using the Catalog. For Army Air Force general orders, we suggest you contact the Air Force Historical Research Agency, 600 Chennault Circle, Building 1405, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL  36112-6424.


          Again, we cannot confirm whether these individuals are the same Homer L. Vincent you are interested in, but if you believe them to be the same person, then you may be able to use the information in these records to locate additional potentially relevant resources and photographs related to him.


          If your grandfather worked as a civilian photographer during WWII, then we suggest that you review historical newspapers for the area where he lived and worked, like those available from the Library of Congress Chronicling America website, to search for photographs he may have taken. We also suggest that you contact local historical societies and public libraries for additional assistance.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!