2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2022 7:30 AM by Jillian Minerva

    Seeking information about Daniel Hallworth in 318th Engineers, WWI

    Joanne Byrne Newbie

      I am looking for any military service information for my great grandfather Daniel Hallworth (1917-1919). His date of birth 6.22.1883.


      We have a copy of his discharge summary but not much more.


      Thanks in advance

        • Re: Seeking information about Daniel Hallworth in 318th Engineers, WWI
          Elliot Schneider Guide



          Here is some additional records VA Index Cards and Rosters.








          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking information about Daniel Hallworth in 318th Engineers, WWI
            Jillian Minerva Adventurer

            Dear Ms. Byrne,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Records of Engineer Regiments and Battalions, 1912 -1921 in the Records of U.S. Regular Army Mobile Units (Record Group 391) that may include the records of the 318th Engineer Regiment/Battalion during WWI. We also located a series titled Records of Divisions, 1917 - 1920 in the Records of the American Expeditionary Forces (World War I) (Record Group 120) that includes the 6th Division and files of the 318th Infantry Regiment in Boxes 19-20. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from [NARA Unit].  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.  Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!